Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Second Chance to Ride a Can-Am Spyder

The really nice thing about motorcycles and other vehicles in general is that over time they continue to get better and better. Thus it is that just because you've ridden a particular machine once, that doesn't mean you don't want to ride one again, given the opportunity. So when my second opportunity to ride a Can-Am Spyder presented itself recently of course I jumped at the chance.

And you know what? I think they've improved it.

Of course, I'm not comparing apples to apples here so keep that in mind. What I rode before was the 2009 Spyder RS, which is just the basic machine. This time I rode the 2011 Spyder RT, the touring machine, that comes with luggage containers and a back-rest for the passenger. That extra mass could make a difference in handling. Or it could just be that I did a better job riding it because I had experience.

What's more likely, however, is that they've improved the Spyder, and I suspect the key factor is the new for 2010 Stability Control System (SCS). It's amazing what they can do with electronics. But let me describe what I'm talking about.

The Spyder is not a motorcycle. In fact, the Can-Am people take pains to tell you that. They call it a roadster. With two wheels in front and one in back, it steers like a car. You turn the handlebars to the right to go right, left to go left. No leaning like on a motorcycle. And like a car, as the Spyder turns right, centrifugal force wants to throw you to the left. In a car you're strapped into a full chair and you're not going anywhere, but on a Spyder you don't have that chair back to restrain you. What I found riding the RS was that I needed to brace myself on the rear-set foot pegs going into curves and then lean my body across the console. It was fine once I got used to it but it definitely took some getting used to.

Riding the RT was different. Sure, centrifugal force still wants to throw you to the opposite side--the laws of physics haven't changed--but it just didn't seem as powerful a force. Part of it may be that the "Ultra comfort touring saddle" on the RT is a bit deeper with a bit more lower back support, but I'm also thinking the SCS has something to do with it.

So how was the ride? It was good, and interesting, too. The RT I rode was a manual transmission model but you can also get them with semi-automatic, like a scooter, where you just twist the throttle. The 998cc V-twin engine makes good enough power that one guy I was riding with laid some rubber taking off from a stop one time. "Just an accident," he claimed. Sure. I know I've never had the urge to see what kind of power a machine has. Right.

On the road you really feel a lot more secure than you do riding a motorcycle. The Spyder is so much bigger that it has got to be more visible to other drivers. It kind of made me feel like I was riding in a Volkswagen Beetle with no covering. And sitting way up high like that, visibility was excellent.

With that big, broad seat, and no need to put your feet on the group when you come to a stop, the RT is definitely a ride-all-day bike (excuse me, roadster). The windshield is electrically adjustable and heated grips and cruise control are standard. Your passenger will be even more comfortable than you, with armrests and a cushioned backrest. The storage spaces fore and aft will swallow a huge amount of luggage, and there's even a trailer lock in case you need more luggage capacity. That's the basic RT. There are four versions of the RT, with an increasing array of standard features, so getting what you want is not an issue.

The Spyder is "riding reinvented," as Can-Am likes to say. Go take a test ride and answer that for yourself.

For New York Motorcycles, visit Island Powersports at http://www.islandpowersports.com/ or call 516-795-4400. We have rock bottom pricing, outstanding customer service, and knowledgeable staff to satisfy your thirst for fun. Schedule an appointment today to get out and ride!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment