Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Are You Prepared for the Hazards When Riding Your Motorcycle?

Even though it looks like a beautiful day for a motorcycle ride, one can never foresee the hazards that might crop up within one's path. Some hazards can be downright offensive or some, if you are not paying attention, could be downright embarrassing. Then there are some that we really do not want to encounter, especially those that can cause severe bodily harm.The best defense of course is to have lots of driver training; read books and watch clips that will enlighten you about different road hazards and how to handle your motorcycle in these circumstances.

If at all possible, avoid traveling on your motorcycle during high traffic times. Consider the other drivers around you and keep your distance by not tail-gating so that in case of an unforeseen road hazard you will have room and time to correct your navigating. Consider the fact also that when a sudden heavy downpour of rain covers a highway, following several days of hot sunny weather, the road surface can become very slippery. This slick surface is the result of exhaust fumes from heavy traffic on the highway.I suggest that this would be a good time to just take some time out or do some sightseeing on foot before venturing out again on your motorbike.

Some mountain highways are very treacherous with switchbacks or S bends. Extreme caution and close attention to posted speed signs must be observed. Be aware in a zone where large trucks are hauling sand or gravel because even though these trucks are required to cover their loads with a tarpaulin, you may find the trucks may still have some spill especially on corners. Now, if perhaps you are moving a little faster than you should be, you can expect a very nasty spill when you hit that loose grit and your two wheeler goes out from under you. What a great time to be dressed in proper motorcycle apparel like a leather jacket to protect you from the pavement skid, plus your motorcycle gloves to protect your hands and of course a properly certified helmet. Denim jeans are comfortable but for better protection it's good to go with leather pants.

The most unexpected circumstance can cause a lot of trouble when you're least expecting it! Recently, I was riding in the back country, it was a beautiful day, not too warm with just a little breeze blowing to remind me that I was riding in the beautiful land of nature. Thankfully, I was just coasting along at a comfortable country speed probably the posted speed limit for the area, when something strange was about to happen just up ahead. I could see a grove of trees, very heavily forested group of large leafy poplar trees with low hanging branches but a tunnel was carved out of these branches for vehicles passing through. Little did I know that on both sides of this country road were good grazing pastures with large herds of cattle! And little did I know that the farmer usually regulated the feeding of his herds and took them across the highway regularly.

Well, as I traveled down this country road toward this grove of poplar trees I could see that the road curved sharply to the right and as I proceeded into the turn I could also see that there was something on the road in front of me. At first, I didn't know what it was exactly but I did observe that it was spread all across the road. Then instantly I knew what it was. Apparently, these cattle were fed on such rich grass and as they were led across this road they all felt it was time for relief. So up went their tails and they all passed in unison! You got it! Cow dung (shit), fresh and greasy and believe me my wheels did not hold. I was not injured but definitely humiliated.

Try my web http://www.motorcycleaccessoryoutlet.com/

I spent my early life on a potato farm and after leaving home I managed national Department stores and after 16 years opened my own, I loved people in the retail business and people are still a big part of my life. I now do internet marketing, my web is about motorcycle accessories, good quality and well priced check it out. http://www.motorcycleaccessoryoutlet.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment