Friday, July 8, 2011

Motorcycle Helmet Cams With iPhone 4, 4G Streaming App Needed

Back in my younger days, I used to love to race my motorcycle around, as I had a Honda Hurricane, and later I traded that up for a 750 cc Slingshot. During that time I used to love to strap on a video camera on the side of my helmet with duct tape. This was of course 20 years ago and back then the video cameras were not small and compact like they are now, and the camera weighed quite a bit. Since I strapped it on to my helmet, I had to always hold my head at a certain angle to get the right shot, and over time my head would troop to one side.

It was quite fun to show those videotapes at parties, and it looked kind of funky as I would lean into a corner, and the video camera would be almost on the ground, depending on which direction I was making the turn, yes, I had scrap marks to prove it! Today however I have a better idea; since the iPhone 4 has apps for the 4G video streaming. It would be very easy to strap one of these smart phones onto the front of the motorcycle near the headlight, and go hog wild in the canyons or on the track and get some great footage.

Not only that, but you could do it in real time streaming video. Meaning your friends could watch as you cruise through the canyon on their iPhones. Meanwhile you could save it all and post it later to YouTube, or use it for a homemade movie. Indeed, the same helmet cams could be used for Skydiving, base jumping, or all sorts of other high adrenaline rush activities. That would be so cool, and best of all, all this technology exists now.

The other day I called a friend who is a former Semi-Pro Street bike racer in the 500 cc class. He said he'd look into it, but he heard that some folks were already doing this, albeit using slightly different technology. He liked my concept because it wouldn't cost very much to deploy this technology and use it for this purpose. In fact, he has a 4G iPhone 4, and he is considering going out and trying it. It makes perfect sense, and it would be a good way to hone your skills, and learn from your mistakes.

After all, mistakes in racing can cost you life or limb, or a ton of money if you crash. Therefore, it seems this technology could increase safety in motorcycle racing. Indeed I hope you will please consider all this and think on it.

Lance Winslow is the Founder of the Online Think Tank. Lance Winslow hopes you've enjoyed today's topic. http://www.worldthinktank.net/ - Have an important subject to discuss, contact Lance. Currently, Mr. Winslow is working on a non-fiction eBook about the Future of Human Sports.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment